Review: Leah on the Off Beat - Becky Albertalli


It was never a question if I‘m going to read the new novel of one of my favorite authors. The question was rather when am i gonna read Leah on the Off BeatFinally I found some time to read and it was absolutely not wasted - but what else would I expect from Becky Albertalli?

Basically Leah on the Off Beat is about friends, finding love and growing up. I really enjoyed reading the novel because I can relate with Leah. It’s her last year of high school and she has to deal with problems like college and the whole what-comes-after-school-deal - the same problems I have to deal with. It’s also nice to see the Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda (“the first part”) characters from another point of view. Note: It’s not necessary to read Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda or The Upside of Unrequited (“the second part”) to get the story! In Albertallis novels, you just see how the world of three totally different teenagers intertwines - teenagers of different sex, with different skin colors, different sexual orientations, different religions, rich and poorer teenagers - which is as fascinating as it is stunning.
The only thing I thought of as disappointing was, that it was pretty predictable with whom Leah is going to end up. In the beginning I was like “hmm it could be this one or maybe this one?” After approximately a third of the book I knew who the lucky one will be.
Though it was a great and easy read and I would definitely recommend the novel. Albertalli wrote  about so many things young people have to deal with and told us one way how to do it. That’s what I like the most.

The novel gets 4 out of 5 stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J. Maas

Review: Melody´s Key - Dallas Coryell